Leverage just in time access to Bitbucket for enhanced cloud security. JIT access reduces risks, improving operational workflow.
Just In Time (JIT) access refers to a security strategy where temporary access is granted to utilize digital resources and revoked immediately after use. This minimizes the likelihood of unauthorized access or breaches, as access rights are only live for a short, necessary period. It's typically used in cloud computing environments and often managed through automated, policy-driven systems.
1. **Enforcement of the Least Privilege Principle**: Just in time (JIT) access in Bitbucket helps to implement the least privilege principle, allowing users to get the minimal amount of privileges necessary to accomplish their tasks. This sharply reduces the risk of unauthorized access or misuse since users only have access to specific resources they need at the right time.
2. **Mitigation of Insider Threats**: JIT privilege escalation sharply diminishes insider threats and unauthorized access. Users' elevated privileges are temporary and given on an as-needed basis only, reducing the window of opportunity for any malicious activity or exploitation of excessive privileges.
3. **Reduction in Human Errors**: The temporary escalation of privileges through JIT minimizes the chances of human errors that may lead to security breaches. It ensures that users can't accidentally misuse or modify high-risk resources thus significantly minimizing human mistakes that can compromise the system.
4. **Enhanced Operational Efficiency and Compliance**: Providing just-in-time access simplifies compliance with audits and regulatory standards as it provides granular visibility and control over user access. This can make it easier for organizations to demonstrate that they are managing permissions in a secure and compliant manner, enhancing operational efficiency.
1. Code Review: A team member could use just-in-time access to review and approve pull requests in a project, ensures that only authorized individuals have access to sensitive code at the right time.
2. Temporary Collaboration: A freelance developer or a contractor could utilize just-in-time access to work on a particular project for a specified duration. After the work is completed, their access can be automatically revoked, enhancing security.
3. Audit and Compliance: In a situation where an audit needs to be completed or compliance checked, just-in-time access allows auditors to access Bitbucket repositories, review necessary documents or code, and then have their access removed.
By observing this structured approach, you'll be capable of efficiently implementing a robust Just-in-Time Access system for Bitbucket.
Entitle provides self-serve access requests, flexible policy workflows, and automated provisioning, to restrict unneeded access across cloud infra and SaaS.
"I like Entitle because it’s one of those tools I can set up and forget about. I never have to go into it and it just works."
CISO and Global Head of IT,
Bitbucket is a web-based version control repository hosting service owned by Atlassian. It is used for source code and development projects that use either Mercurial or Git revision control systems. Bitbucket offers both commercial plans and free accounts, the latter of which supports up to five users in a team.
Entitle is how cloud-forward companies provide employees with temporary, granular and just-in-time access within their cloud infrastructure and SaaS applications. Entitle easily integrates with your stack, offering self-serve access requests, instant visibility into your cloud entitlements and making user access reviews a breeze.
Explore how you can manage employees' temporary AND birthright permissions, all from one place.