Leverage just in time access to AWS for enhanced cloud security, reduced risk, and streamlined operations in your AWS environment.
Just-In-Time (JIT) access refers to a security feature where access rights are given to users only when needed and for a specific amount of time. This method minimizes the exposure of the system to potential attackers by limiting unnecessary standing access privileges. It's commonly used in cloud computing and IT infrastructures to enhance data security.
1. Enhanced Least Privilege Access: Just in Time (JIT) access ensures that AWS users are granted minimal permissions required to perform their tasks. This helps in closely aligning with the principle of least privilege, reducing the risk of unauthorized data exposure by limiting access rights to the absolute necessary for job function.
2. Reduced Insider Threats and Human Errors: By removing permanent, unmonitored permissions and providing temporary necessary privileges, the likelihood of AWS users unintentionally misusing, misconfiguring, or otherwise causing harm to critical resources is decreased. JIT privilege escalation model ensures that elevated permissions are granted only when absolutely required, reducing the chance of accidental data breaches.
3. Improved Operational Efficiency: JIT approach eliminates the time-consuming process of manually granting, changing, or revoking permissions, which results in a more efficient operations environment. By automating access control in AWS, JIT allows administrators to focus on high-priority tasks, which in turn, drives operational efficiency.
4. Simplified Compliance Auditing: JIT access and privilege escalation automatically captures who accessed what AWS resource and when, which significantly simplifies the process of auditing for compliance purposes. The audit trail provided by this model offers detailed insight into access control, aiding in adherence to various compliance standards such as GDPR, HIPAA, and PCI DSS.
1. Emergency Response: In an emergency or unexpected failure scenario, just in time access can be used to grant immediate access to key resources, so that a team can quickly troubleshoot and rectify the issue.
2. Temporary Projects: JIT access can be used to provide temporary access to AWS resources during short-term projects or collaborations, ensuring that access is only granted for the exact period it is required, reducing the risk of unauthorized access.
3. Third-party Access: Companies often need to grant access to third-party contractors or auditors. Rather than grant permanent access, just in time access allows for a particular period of access, minimizing long-term security risks.
By adhering to this systematic approach, you can effectively implement a robust Just-in-Time Access system for AWS.
Entitle provides self-serve access requests, flexible policy workflows, and automated provisioning, to restrict unneeded access across cloud infra and SaaS.
"I like Entitle because it’s one of those tools I can set up and forget about. I never have to go into it and it just works."
CISO and Global Head of IT,
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a subsidiary of Amazon that offers on-demand cloud computing platforms and APIs to individuals, businesses, and governments. It provides a mix of infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), and packaged software as a service (SaaS) offerings. AWS features a comprehensive suite of cloud services, including computing power, storage options, networking and databases, delivered as a utility: on-demand, available in seconds, with pay-as-you-go pricing.
Entitle is how cloud-forward companies provide employees with temporary, granular and just-in-time access within their cloud infrastructure and SaaS applications. Entitle easily integrates with your stack, offering self-serve access requests, instant visibility into your cloud entitlements and making user access reviews a breeze.
Explore how you can manage employees' temporary AND birthright permissions, all from one place.