Gain enhanced security with just in time access to Google Cloud Platform, providing minimized data exposure and improved operational efficiency.
JIT access, or Just-In-Time access, is a security feature that only grants access privileges for a service when they are specifically needed, and for a limited amount of time. This reduces the risk of unauthorized access and potential for damage if credentials are compromised. This method of access control is commonly used in IT departments for critical systems.
1. Ensured Least Privilege Access: With just-in-time access and privilege escalation in the Google Cloud Platform, you can ensure the principle of least privilege (PoLP) is adhered to. This system provides users with the minimum levels of access needed to perform their tasks, reducing the risk of unauthorized system access or data oversharing.
2. Minimized Insider Threats and Human Errors: The use of just-in-time permissions reduces the potential for damaging insider threats and minimises the risk of human errors. By granting the user only necessary permissions for a limited period, the possibility of unintentional data leak or misuse of authorization, caused by worker mistakes or oversights, significantly diminishes.
3. Boosted Operational Efficiency: Just-in-time model for resource access in the Google Cloud Platform increases operational efficiency by automating the permission assignment process. Auto-scaling and automated updates help in reducing manual work, thereby minimizing the administrative overhead of permission management.
4. Simplified Compliance Auditing: A just-in-time model facilitates simplification of regulatory compliance auditing as the permissions granted are clear, concise and traceable. This offers an accurate and real-time understanding of who has access to what resources in Google Cloud Platform, making it easier to track and report for regulatory compliance.
1. Temporary Access for External Developers: Just in time access can be used to provide temporary and limited access to external developers working on a specific project. This ensures they only have the necessary permissions during their tenure.
2. Emergency Access for Support Teams: In case of a system outage or other emergency scenarios, support teams might need access to resources they don't usually access. Just in time access allows for this temporary elevated access to troubleshoot and repair issues.
3. Handling Sensitive Data: If a specific job requires handling sensitive data in a GCP service, just in time access can be used to grant access exclusively for the time required to handle the data, reducing the risk of unauthorized data exposure.
Following this structured guideline will enable you to effectively implement a robust Just-in-Time Access system for Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE).
Entitle provides self-serve access requests, flexible policy workflows, and automated provisioning, to restrict unneeded access across cloud infra and SaaS.
"I like Entitle because it’s one of those tools I can set up and forget about. I never have to go into it and it just works."
CISO and Global Head of IT,
Google Cloud Platform is a suite of cloud computing services provided by Google that includes data storage, data analytics, and machine learning tools. It allows developers to build, deploy, and scale applications, websites, and services on the same infrastructure that Google uses internally. Users can quickly access and manage resources and applications, pay only for what they use, and scale easily as their needs grow.
Entitle is how cloud-forward companies provide employees with temporary, granular and just-in-time access within their cloud infrastructure and SaaS applications. Entitle easily integrates with your stack, offering self-serve access requests, instant visibility into your cloud entitlements and making user access reviews a breeze.
Explore how you can manage employees' temporary AND birthright permissions, all from one place.