Experience enhanced operational efficiency and heightened security with just in time access to SharePoint. This approach reduces unauthorized access, streamlines workflows and bolsters data protection.
Just-in-time access is a security strategy that limits user access to a system or network to only what they need at that specific time, minimizing unnecessary exposure to sensitive resources. This approach is designed to reduce the risk of cyber-attacks by limiting the access and privileges of users and administrators to the minimum necessary for their task. The access permissions are granted for a certain period of time and are automatically revoked after the task is completed.
1. Enhanced Security: Just-In-Time (JIT) access can significantly reduce the level of insider threats and potential human errors in SharePoint management by granting administrative privileges for specific tasks only when required, adhering to the principle of least privilege (PoLP).
2. Improved Operational Efficiency: JIT privilege escalation can streamline administrative tasks in SharePoint by granting elevated permissions just when needed, expediting processes and improving agility while avoiding needlessly broad or permanent permissions.
3. Reduced Risk Profile: JIT access within SharePoint lessens the attack surface by limiting unnecessary extended permissions, reducing the likelihood of unauthorized access, data breaches, or exploitable vulnerabilities.
4. Streamlined Compliance Auditing: Utilizing JIT access and privilege escalation simplifies the auditing process for SharePoint permissions, making it easier to monitor user activities, track and revoke temporary permissions, and provide clear reports for compliance requirements.
1. Confidential Project Management: Companies handling sensitive projects can utilize Just-In-Time access in SharePoint to grant temporary permissions to specific team members, ensuring that sensitive data is only accessible when necessary and reducing the likelihood of data breaches.
2. Compliance and Auditing in Finance Sector: In the finance industry, compliance officers can be granted JIT access to review data or documents within SharePoint for auditing purposes. This improves security by preventing continuous access while allowing officers to perform their duties with ease and accuracy.
3. Vendor Partnerships: In situations where a company collaborates with external vendors, JIT access in SharePoint can be used to provide temporary access to shared folders or documents. This maintains control over proprietary data and enhances security while fostering effective collaboration.
Implementing Just-in-Time (JIT) access to SharePoint requires a careful planning and execution process. Here is a detailed guide to help you implement JIT access to SharePoint:
By following this structured approach, you can efficiently set up a robust Just-in-Time Access system for SharePoint, ensuring secure and controlled access to resources while minimizing potential risks.
Entitle provides self-serve access requests, flexible policy workflows, and automated provisioning, to restrict unneeded access across cloud infra and SaaS.
"I like Entitle because it’s one of those tools I can set up and forget about. I never have to go into it and it just works."
CISO and Global Head of IT,
SharePoint is a web-based, collaborative platform developed by Microsoft. It is primarily used by businesses to create websites, store, organize, access, and share information from any device. SharePoint also offers features like content management, intranet creation, and workflow management, helping companies streamline their processes and improve productivity.
Entitle is how cloud-forward companies provide employees with temporary, granular and just-in-time access within their cloud infrastructure and SaaS applications. Entitle easily integrates with your stack, offering self-serve access requests, instant visibility into your cloud entitlements and making user access reviews a breeze.
Explore how you can manage employees' temporary AND birthright permissions, all from one place.