Mitigate risk with just in time access to SSH. Improves security by limiting exposure, reduces attack surface, and simplifies operational workflows.
Just-In-Time (JIT) access refers to granting permissions or access to a user only when it's needed and for the least amount of time necessary to complete a task. This approach minimizes the risk associated with attackers gaining access to unused or unnecessarily granted privileges. JIT access is commonly used in the realm of cybersecurity to enhance data protection and regulatory compliance.
1. **Enforces Least Privilege Access in SSH Operations** Just in time access and privilege escalation allows the enforcement of least privilege access, understanding that users are only given the necessary permissions for a limited time. This reduces the risk associated with persistent privileged access, thus improving your SSH security posture.
2. **Mitigates Insider Threats** Employing just in time access and privilege escalation significantly reduces the potential damage from insider threats. By minimizing the window of opportunity for malicious actions, it limits the access of users to sensitive SSH keys and resources, adding an extra layer of protection to your infrastructure.
3. **Minimizes Human Error Impact** In environments using SSH communication, human errors can exacerbate security vulnerabilities. Just in time access and privilege escalation, by limiting users' access duration and level, controls the potential impact of mishandled SSH keys or erroneous commands.
4. **Streamlines Auditing and Compliance Processes** Implementing just in time methods simplifies the auditing process. It provides comprehensive logs of SSH access activities and privileges granted, offering a clear visibility into user actions for more effective auditing, revealing any irregular patterns, and supporting regulatory compliance efforts.
1. Secure Remote Administration: IT administrators gaining Just-In-Time access to SSH servers enables them to perform tasks like network diagnostics, system updates, and troubleshooting securely, reducing potential security gaps linked to long-term access privileges.
2. Outsourced IT Support: Companies can use Just-In-Time access for outsourced IT service providers who require temporary SSH access to resolve client issues, ensuring they have the necessary authority for a limited time and maintaining client security.
3. Auditability and Compliance: In highly regulated industries where activities need to be audited, Just-In-Time SSH access ensures only authorized personnel with active permissions can access sensitive systems, enhancing governance and compliance.
By following this methodical approach, you can efficiently implement a robust Just-in-Time Access system for Amazon EKS using SSH.
Entitle provides self-serve access requests, flexible policy workflows, and automated provisioning, to restrict unneeded access across cloud infra and SaaS.
"I like Entitle because it’s one of those tools I can set up and forget about. I never have to go into it and it just works."
CISO and Global Head of IT,
SSH, or Secure Shell, is a cryptographic network protocol that allows secure data communication over an unsecured network. It provides strong password authentication and secure encrypted data communications between two computers connected over an insecure network. It is widely used by network administrators to control web and other kinds of servers remotely.
Entitle is how cloud-forward companies provide employees with temporary, granular and just-in-time access within their cloud infrastructure and SaaS applications. Entitle easily integrates with your stack, offering self-serve access requests, instant visibility into your cloud entitlements and making user access reviews a breeze.
Explore how you can manage employees' temporary AND birthright permissions, all from one place.