Gain enhanced security and streamlined operations with just in time access to Rancher. Ideal for managing Kubernetes security efficiently.
Just-In-Time (JIT) access refers to a security model where the necessary privileges or permissions are provided to users exactly when they are needed. Under this model, user permissions are not always active, instead they are granted temporarily for specific tasks and automatically revoked after a defined period. This model helps in minimizing risks related to identity theft or unauthorized access, as user permissions are limited to specific timeframes and tasks.
1. Enhanced Least Privilege Access: Just in time access and privilege escalation limit the permissions to what is needed at a specific moment in Rancher, thereby ensuring least privilege access. This approach reduces the probability of an insider unintentionally gaining high-level permissions, increasing security.
2. Reduced Insider Threats: This 'just in time' methodology greatly reduces the risk of insider threats as Rancher users are only granted the necessary permissions when required, lowering the chances of misuse of privileges. Any unauthorized actions attempted outside of specific task windows can, thus, be readily detected and prevented.
3. Improved Operational Efficiency: By employing just in time access and privilege escalation, Rancher can manage permissions more efficiently as it eliminates the ‘always-on’ permissions and only grants permissions when needed. This leads to a more streamlined operational process without compromising on the security factors.
4. Easier Auditing for Compliance: With just in time access or privilege escalation, all permission granting procedures can be precisely logged and tracked in Rancher. This makes the auditing process easier and simplifies demonstrating compliance with various regulatory standards, as it provides a clear record of who accessed what and when.
1. Resource Monitoring: Technicians or system administrators can be granted just in time access to Rancher to monitor the performance of a company's Docker environments, allowing them to react quickly to any issues that arise and ensure optimal system performance and reliability.
2. System Updates and Maintenance: Just in time access to Rancher can be granted to developers or administrators to perform system updates, implement new features, or troubleshoot and repair issues, allowing for minimized disruption to the system's operation and improved system stability.
3. On-demand Training or Support: Allowing just in time access to Rancher for training purposes can help new users or IT professionals familiarize themselves with the system's functionality and navigation. This could also extend to the support team who might need access to specific user data to resolve a service ticket.
By following this structured method, you'll efficiently build a robust Just-in-Time Access procedure for Rancher.
Entitle provides self-serve access requests, flexible policy workflows, and automated provisioning, to restrict unneeded access across cloud infra and SaaS.
"I like Entitle because it’s one of those tools I can set up and forget about. I never have to go into it and it just works."
CISO and Global Head of IT,
Rancher is an open-source software platform that provides a unified way to manage Kubernetes, the leading container orchestration platform. It allows users to deploy, manage and secure Kubernetes at scale on any infrastructure. Rancher also includes tools for cluster management, application deployment, and policy-based governance.
Entitle is how cloud-forward companies provide employees with temporary, granular and just-in-time access within their cloud infrastructure and SaaS applications. Entitle easily integrates with your stack, offering self-serve access requests, instant visibility into your cloud entitlements and making user access reviews a breeze.
Explore how you can manage employees' temporary AND birthright permissions, all from one place.